Tuesday 28 February 2017

Monthly Review: February 2017

 
What I Read
I re-read two books, Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay and (for the Old School Kidlit challenge) The Tanglewoods' Secret by Patricia St. John. The first of these I enjoyed much more than I did the first time around, the second not as much.
 
I also read quite a lot of other books; mostly classics. I really enjoyed A World of Girls by L.T. Meade, The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, and Half Magic by Edward Eager, and also quite enjoyed The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.
 
In terms of modern books, Alice-Miranda on Holiday by Jacqueline Harvey turned out to be just about as good as the first book in the series; St Grizzle's School for Girls, Goats and Random Boys was quite enjoyable, although a little bit silly, and I felt that A Quiet Kind of Thunder, although not in a genre I read much, presented a good representation of a character struggling with anxiety and selective mutism.
 
Reviews I've written are linked in book titles; reviews for some of the other books should appear soon.
 
Reading Challenge Progress
I've had a bit more success this month than last!
Old School Kidlit: This month's theme was a book you loved in childhood. I reread The Tanglewoods' Secret, the review of which should hopefully be up tomorrow.
Mount TBR: Two of the books I read this month counted for this: Saffy's Angel and The Tanglewoods' Secret. Both were rereads but fit the requirements for the challenge (books I read at least five years ago and bought after the first time I read them).
Back to the Classics: I've only just joined this challenge, but I've already managed to cross off one category; A Wrinkle in Time counts as my award-winning classic. My review should be up soon.
 
I re-read two books this month, which puts my total at four. I haven't read any non-fiction, but I read two books last month, so I'm still on track for twelve this year.
 
Posts
I participated in I Love Austen Week, hosted by Hamlette.
I listed Ten Books I Enjoyed More Than I Thought I Would, for Top Ten Tuesday.
I signed up for Back to the Classics 2017.
 
Currently Reading
I'm currently actively reading A College Girl by Mrs George de Horne Vaizey (which I'm really enjoying), A Wiltshire Diary by Francis Kilvert, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, And Both Were Young by Madeleine L'Engle, and I'm rereading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (so good!). I'm trying to make myself finish some of these before I start any more, but we'll see how that goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment