Tuesday 22 November 2016

The Bookish Time Travel Tag

This tag seems to have been going around for quite a while now, as I've seen it on a lot of blogs. I haven't been specifically tagged for it, but it looked fun so I'm going to steal it and fill it out anyway :) It originated from The Library Lizard.

 
What is your favourite historical setting for a book?
Just one?! I've long had an interest in reading about Ancient Rome (started by the Roman Mysteries series, which I loved when I was about thirteen) but I also feel a strong draw seventeenth-century England (the Civil War and so on), although I'm not entirely sure why. More recently I've developed a love of the Middle Ages. Basically anything before about 1700 :) Although I enjoy books with more recent settings too!
 
6554565

What writer/s would you like to travel back in time to meet?
This is another hard one, because I have a lot of favourite authors who are no longer around :) I think I'd like to meet Elizabeth Gaskell, because I really enjoy her books and it seems like she was a nice person. I'd also like to meet C.S. Lewis. Besides others :)

What book/s would you travel back in time and give to your younger self?
Alice-Miranda at School, which I read earlier this year and I know I would have loved when I was eight or nine (I enjoyed it quite a lot, mostly for that reason).
 
What book/s would you travel forward in time and give to your older self?
There are quite a lot of books that I'd hope I'd still be remembering and re-reading when I'm older! Some that I've read fairly recently that fit into this category are To Kill a Mockingbird, Gaudy Night and Gatty's Tale.

25214284
 
What is your favourite futuristic setting from a book?
I enjoyed the world of the Cendrillon Cycle books by Stephanie Ricker, especially in the latest instalment. It's a future that is exciting with lots of possibility for exploration. (Although I haven't read many books with futuristic settings that I would like to live in!)

What is your favourite book that is set in a different time period (can be historical or futuristic)?
My favourite book ever is probably Anne of Green Gables, which is set in the late Victorian era - so I'll go with that.
 
Spoiler time: Do you ever skip ahead to the end of a book just to see what happens?
Yes, I do this sometimes, though not too often. Sometimes I can't deal with the level of tension in a book, or if a story appears to be heading in a direction I don't like, I might peek ahead and see if I want to continue with it or not. I'm not usually that bothered by spoiler, although it depends on the type of book.

If you had a time turner, where would you go and what would you do?
So many options! I honestly don't know where I'd start. I think I'd be too afraid of messing with time to actually do anything, more than just observing, but I think I'd like to go and see various great events from the past. I can't think of anything specific right now though, although I feel I should be able to.

Favourite book (if you have one) that includes time travel or takes place in different time periods?
I really like the concept of time travel as I think it includes lots of possibilities that could be really interesting to explore. That said, I haven't actually read that many books that include it, and it often isn't done very well. I have quite enjoyed the first few books of Sarah Woodbury's After Cilmeri series (although this kind of ends up as alternate history). And of course Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, although I don't really think of it as a time travel book since that is only a small part of the plot. But it was always my favourite Harry Potter book and probably my favourite book at one time.

464164
 
What book/series do you wish you could go back in time and read again for the first time?
That's quite hard ... I'd actually like to be able to read Harry Potter for the first time again since I don't really remember reading the first few books and I'd like to know how I felt about certain plot twists and whether or not I would have seen them coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment