Tuesday 19 July 2016

Ten Books Set Outside the US and UK


This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic is Books Set Outside the US. I live in the UK so I wasn't expecting my reading list to be quite as dominated by American books as other people's, but I was quite surprised to find that only 3 (and a half) of the books I've read so far this year were set in the US (compared to 20 set at least partly in the UK)! I was expecting the split to be fairly equal (I think it is a lot more so most years, I just seem to have picked up a lot of books set over here this year). So I've decided to modify the topic to include only books not set in the US or the UK. I've selected all of the books from different countries too to make it more interesting. All of them are books that I would recommend.
 
 
Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (France)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Germany)
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (Canada)
Creature of the Night by Kate Thompson (Ireland)
Nothing Else Matters by Patricia St. John (Lebanon)

 
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (Norway)
Hitler's Canary by Sandi Toksvig (Denmark)
Out of Shadows by Jason Wallace (Zimbabwe)
Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden (Australia)
Prisoner of the Inquisition by Theresa Breslin (Spain)

1 comment:

  1. Oooo picking books set outside of the UK and US is tough, well done!

    ReplyDelete